Sunday, December 13, 2009

the art of holding it together

These past three weeks have been a struggle in a number of ways. I have been through the task of moving out of a fancy rental property and cleaning the oversized ridiculously huge house, downsizing my possessions from 5 ute loads to 1 car load, saying goodbye to my cat, organising and attending a million end of school concerts/speeches/dinners, saying goodbye to my students and then finally organising my going away party and having to hold myself together for the night while being surrounded by all the special people in my life. It was hard to be in a room full of the people who have been such a huge part of shaping who I am, knowing that I won't see most of them for at least a year...others are moving themselves and it was the last time I will see them.

People keep asking me if I'm excited...and I am...but the sadness and stress is at the forefront right now. Because of this, I am just so keen to hit the road and start embracing the adventure instead of just thinking about it.

It is one week until I get on the boat and begin the fun. I picked up the 4WD I'm taking today. Now, there is a story! I was throwing around the idea of taking a 4WD up the guts of Australia instead of flying to Broome. My friend who lives in the south of WA suggested that I use his landrover to get me there. I didn't take it too seriously and was looking around for a vehicle to buy, like a van or something. But...before I knew it, the wonderful Daniel had booked a boat ticket from melb to tas and was driving across to drop off the 4WD for me to use. Wow. What a wonderful friend I have in Daniel. I have so many amazing friends who have really looked after me in these transition times.

So... I will spend this week getting things all ready and set to hit the road. Keep in touch and you will hear from me when I'm somewhere hot with a reddish colour dirt landscape.

X

No comments:

Post a Comment